Friday, September 25, 2009

Isaac Aguirre



I chose the picture of Haiga Sophia because most of my classmates have chosen the Notedrame Cathedral. So let’s talk about it.
Known as Hagia Sophia (Άγια Σοφία) in Greek, Sancta Sophia in Latin, and Ayasofya or Aya Sofya in Turkish, =) Is a Byzantine church and mosque located in Istanbul, Turkey. What we can see now is the result of many reconstructions of the building because it has been damage by earthquakes and many wars.
We can see a lot of particularities of byzantine art like many paintings of Christianize representing God, Christ, Virgin Mary and Saints. Remember that Byzantine art is derivate of the Greek art. Justinian's basilica (how was named first because of the emperor) is the representation of the first amazing Bizantine architecture. Its influence, both architecturally and liturgically, was widespread and enduring in the Eastern Orthodox, Muslim worlds alike and especially Roman Catholic art.
I really appreciate the domes and semi domes, I mean they are just huge and I can’t imagine how they built it. For over 900 years the Hagia Sophia was the principal basilica of the Orthodox Patriarch of Constantinople and a principal church for councils and imperial ceremonies.
But I want to focus on an specific part of the Church. A pillar. But no one of the huge 4 that are outside. But, in one which is inside. I was looking for information on internet and I found this strange picture, first I watched it and I think was nothing great compared with the whole church so I click on the link of the photo to see what was it and I found this:
The Miraculous Pillar

“This rectangular pillar, located behind one of the large urns to the left of the imperial door as you enter the nave, is known by many fabulous names, including the Pillar of St. Gregory the Wonder-Worker, the Sacred Column, and the Sweating Column”.
“Legend has it that if you successfully complete a 360-degree circle with your thumb in the hole, you will be granted a wish. It is also said to "weep water" that has healing properties”.
Now I want to be there to try to do the experiment, so we should organize a trip there.
I hope you enjoy it. Here I let you the pages where I found good information.
Hagia Sophia at dusk. Photo © Helen Betts.
Pictures of Hagia Sophia. Visited 25 september 2009 http://www.sacred-destinations.com/turkey/hagia-sophia-photos/index.html
Byzantine art. Visited 25 september 2009 http://www.huntfor.com/arthistory/medieval/byzantine.htm

No comments:

Post a Comment